Today is Equal Pay Day, one of those oops-we’re-doing-it-wrong shake your head sorts of days…it is the day each year when a woman’s earnings from the year before would finally catch up to one year of a man’s earnings doing the same work.
Yep, still true, it takes until April for a woman to earn what a guy took home by last December. On average, full-time working women still only make about 79 cents to a dollar for a man (better than the 72 cents of a few years ago, but c’mon…really?)
The wage gap costs the average full-time working woman about $430,000 dollars over her lifetime. Here’s the perplexing other side of the coin, and I know we’re all ramped up about minimum wages and unskilled labor making more than military, and those are entirely separate issues (about which…surprise…I have some very specific views…) but if we CLOSE the wage gap, we could add as much as $4.3 trillion dollars to the U.S. economy by the year 2025.
Since that closing of the gap won’t happen today, in the meantime, while you add your name to this petition to stand up for equal pay, here are a few volunteer opportunities around the world that you might consider that are dedicated to equality for women:
- Here’s a link to Women Empowerment Volunteer Trips from Volunteering Solutions ranging across destinations like Ghana, Kenya, Costa Rica, India, Philippines, Cambodia, and Thailand.
- Volunteer in support of the artisans community of a Women’s Business Collective program in Xiloxochico, Mexico with Global Citizens.
- Volunteer project in support of economic empowerment for Maasai women in Tanzania with Institute for Field Research Expeditions.
- Single Mothers Empowerment and Education Program in Chiang Mai, Thailand with Cultural Canvas Thailand.
- Volunteer with the Advocates for Human Rights to stop violence against women at the center based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Mentor to strengthen leadership and self-esteem for girls through the power of performance as a volunteer at Rock and Roll Camp for Girls in Portland, Oregon.